Chicago, IL 60632
Midwest Foods is a wholesale food distributor providing top quality food products to numerous food establishments in Chicago, surrounding suburbs, Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana. We import fruits and vegetables from all over the world and distribute these products to local markets. We are currently hiring for a dry/canned/frozen goods buyer position in our Chicago location.
· Responsible for purchasing assigned category products.
· Forecast purchase needs and manage process for order fulfillment.
· Source items internationally and/or locally depending on the seasonality of the product.
· Create purchase orders and negotiate price bids with vendors.
· Coordinate logistics for all inbound shipments arriving by air, trucks, boats, and trains to track product.
· Assist Accounts Payable in relation to purchase order and payment issues.
· Maintain appropriate product quality and safety under USDA standards.
· Enter purchase orders/data in NetSuite in a timely manner
· Communicate with vendors to resolve any arising problems concerning product costs, quantity/quality and/or delivery times.
· Communicate with Sales department.
· Assist in receiving of trucks in ERP system in accurate and timely manner
· Gather all invoices and supporting documents for product ordered and received
· Maintain files and check documentation thoroughly and accurately
· Receive and verify invoices against receiving department paperwork, addressing any discrepancies with purchasing/receiving department
· Participate in special projects related to inventory control, purchasing, and warehouse management
· Minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in a Produce/DRY GOODS environment.
· High School Diploma, College degree preferred but not required.
· Ability to establish a good rapport with vendors.
· Strong negotiating skills.
· Ability to multi-task.
· Market knowledge, ability to recognize trends.
· Familiarity with receiving processes, such as handling invoices and purchase orders or bill of ladings
· Experience working in a produce environment preferred
· Keen eye for detail
· Growth mindset
· Excellent communication and organizational skills
· Computer literate, including Excel & Word.
· Health/Dental/Life/Vision/STD/LTD Insurance, 401-K
· Vacation and PTO