Midwest Foods is the leading produce distributor in the Midwest region. Our company imports fruits and vegetables from all over the world and distributes these products to local markets.
Responsibilities & Duties:
The Produce Buyer will be involved in the following functions:
* Responsible for purchasing assigned category products.
* Forecasting purchase needs and managing process for order fulfillment.
* Sourcing items internationally and/or locally depending on the seasonality of the product.
* Creating purchase orders in NetSuite and negotiating price bids with vendors.
* Coordinating logistics for all inbound shipments arriving by air, trucks, boats, and trains to track product.
* Managing assigned category inventory for replenishment.
* Assisting Accounts Payable in relation to purchase order and payment issues.
* Maintaining appropriate product quality and safety under USDA standards.
* Communicating with vendors to resolve any arising problems concerning product costs, quantity/quality and/or delivery times.
* Communicating with Sales department.
* Minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in a Produce environment. High School Diploma, College degree preferred but not required.
* Procurement experience with fresh, specialty produce (vegetables, fruits, etc.).
* Strong commodities knowledge (including organic), vegetable, fruit, herbs, and specialty produce lines.
* Ability to establish a good rapport with vendors.
* Strong negotiating skills.
* Ability to multi-task.
* Market knowledge, ability to recognize trends.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Computer literate, including Excel & Word.
* Health/Dental/Life/Vision/STD/LTD Insurance
* Vacation and PTO
Salary based on experience
Please provide cover letter and salary requirements when applying